Town of Lunenburg COVID-19 Pandemic Information
Provincial State of Emergency
The Province of Nova Scotia declared a "state of emergency" on March 22, 2020 to help contain the spread of COVID-19. The state of emergency's most recent extension is until noon on Sunday, August 8, 2021.
Nova Scotia has reached Phase 4 of the Reopening Plan as of July 14, 2021. For more details, visit the following Provincial website: https://novascotia.ca/reopening-plan/
COVID-19 vaccinations are available from NS Health for all those aged 12+. COVID-19 vaccination appointments must be made online at https://www.novascotia.ca/vaccination or by phone at 1-833-797-7772.
For current Provincial information on the pandemic: www.novascotia.ca/coronavirus
- Masks are mandatory in indoor and outdoor public places, including all common areas in your workplaces. Please remember that any restaurant, store, or service you visit is someone's workplace - be considerate. For more on the guidelines, types of acceptable masks and use, visit: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/masks/
- Restriction updates: As the Province announces updates to measures put in place to help contain the spread of COVID-19, they can be found on this NS Government page: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/restriction-updates/
- Business operating guidelines can be found here: https://novascotia.ca/reopening-nova-scotia
- See "Additional Resources" at the bottom of this page.
Town of Lunenburg Municipal Operations and Closures
In the interest of public health, the following operational changes have been made by the Town. Updates will be posted to this site as our practices change.
As of NS's Reopening Plan, Town Council and Committees have resumed meeting in person. Social distancing allows for a total of 18 people in the Council Chamber - including Council, staff, and presenters - so there is very limited seating for members of the public. Please call ahead at 902-634-4410 to determine if there is available seating. These meetings will continue to be broadcast on Zoom (accessible by video or telephone; each meeting's link is published in advance) and live-streamed on the Town's YouTube channel. The minutes are posted to the Town website here (Council) and here (Committees), and video recordings are archived on YouTube for later viewing.
Please note that many Town Hall services, other than the Finance payment counter, are conducted by appointment only. Below is a listing of individual Town Departments and updates.
The Finance payment counter at Town Hall open daily 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The accessible entrance side door will be open during these hours as well. Only one customer will be admitted to the payment counter at a time and masks are required. The following payment options are also available:
- Online or Telephone Banking. Use the account number from your bill to add a bill payee. Search “Lunenburg” and select the payee needed.
- Bank Payment in Person. Check with your local branch hours
- Drop payment in the mail slot at the front door of Town Hall (119 Cumberland St.). Label with name and account number.
- Cheque or Money Order (payable to the Town of Lunenburg), mail to PO Box 129, Lunenburg, NS, B0J 2C0.
Note: Public washrooms in Town Hall are not available at this time. There is a portable toilet available in the parking lot next door to Town Hall for emergencies.
building permit application
development permit application
. Applications and information packages are also available
here. In-person meetings are by appointment only.
● Building inspections are scheduled through the Building Inspection Office in Bridgewater at 902-541-1325.
● Burning permits are required for burns other than an outdoor appliance (per below).
Fire pits which are no wider than 0.5 m in diameter, and backyard appliances (like chimineas) are permitted for households but must follow the posted burning restrictions updated at 2:00 p.m. daily (https://novascotia.ca/burnsafe/) and take local conditions such as wind into consideration. CSA-approved appliances such as gas barbecues and propane fire pits are also permitted. The use of consumer fireworks is prohibited. For reference, see this link to Lunenburg's Burning Bylaw.
● Finance: See above for Finance counter operation. The outdoor drop-box at the Town Hall front entrance, 119 Cumberland Street, is available for Town bill payments 24/7. For additional payment options and account inquiries, please see
Public Works staff continue to maintain all municipal infrastructure, water and wastewater services. Contact the Public Works Department at 902-634-8992 for more information. In case of emergency after hours, such as loss of water pressure, call 902-527-0150.
● Visit the Town’s Garbage Collection page for the 2021 solid waste collection calendars and more information.
● The Town's municipal compost site is open on Fridays only from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The entrance to the compost site is on Starr Street, near the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Town of Lunenburg residents are welcome to dispose of leaves, limbs and garden waste only at this site. Please be sure to observe social distancing of 2m/6ft at all times.
● The Town's public washroom on Bluenose Drive is OPEN for the season through October. Washrooms in Town Hall are not available to the public. There is a portable toilet in the parking lot next door to Town Hall for emergencies.
● The Lunenburg Arena is CLOSED for the 2020/21 ice season. we want to thank all of our users for their continuous support, following the COVID-19 protocols, and playing an active role to keep users and staff safe. See you in the fall, with our new ice resurfacer!
● The Lunenburg Community Centre is reopened for scheduled programs and rentals at this time. See here for more information and to download a copy of the Terms & Conditions for use of the Community Centre. Fitness classes require pre-registration. The Weight Room requires pre-booking your visits.
● The Lunenburg & District Community Pool is OPEN for the season (please note that the pool is not operated by the Town). Contact the society that operates the pool here: https://www.facebook.com/lunenburgswimmingpool/
● Municipal public parks including the community garden and outdoor soccer field, baseball field, and track, are open. Enjoy what's available in our community, while maintaining physical distancing. Please note that the use of the skateboard park also requires physical distancing at all times.
● Playgrounds are open, with the observance of physical distancing. Please wash/sanitize hands before and after use. Use at your own risk.
● The Back and Front Harbour Trails are open for exercise. Users must maintain a two-metre/six-foot separation distance from all others at all times unless they are members of your own household. If you must pass someone on the Trail be sure to maintain physical distance by moving to the shoulder of the Trail on your far right – including those on bicycles. This applies to Town sidewalks as well. Please note that there is NO winter maintenance on the trails.
● The Broad Street Boat Launch has OPENED for the season.
The Town’s after-hours contact number is 902-527-0150 for any urgent municipal inquiries.
The RCMP is maintaining regular operations. The local Lilydale Detachment office number is 902-634-8674 for non-emergency matters. If it is a fire, police or medical emergency please call 911.
Government of Nova Scotia: www.novascotia.ca/coronavirus
The Mental Health Provincial Crisis Line is available 24/7 to anyone experiencing a mental health or addiction crisis, or someone concerned about them, by calling 1-888-429-8167 (toll-free).
Kids Help Phone is available 24/7, by calling 1-800-668-6868 (toll-free).
For help or information about domestic violence 24/7, call 1-855-225-0220 (toll-free).
Government of Canada: www.canada.ca/coronavirus / toll-free information line 1-833-784-4397.
Stay informed and well!