The date of the next municipal election is Saturday, October 17, 2020. The Town of Lunenburg elects a Mayor and six Councillors-at-large.
At the Town Council Meeting of November 26, 2019, Patrick A. Burke, Q.C., of Burke, Macdonald & Luczak Barristers and Solicitors was appointed the 2020 Municipal Election Returning Officer. Town staff Bea Renton, CAO, and Heather McCallum, Assistant Municipal Clerk, have been appointed Assistant Returning Officers.
Information for Voters
There will be a revising period for people to check that they are on the voter's list in August 2020. More information on this to come.
- October 8 or 10, 2020 - First advance poll
- October 13, 2020 - Second advance poll
- October 17, 2020 - Election day
Information for Candidates
Candidate's Guide to Municipal Elections
prepared by the Nova Scotia Department of Municipal Affairs is now available.
- March 7, 2020 - Residency required to qualify as a candidate
- September 8, 2020 - Nomination day (nominations can be filed in the seven business days prior)
- September 9, 2020 - Last day for a candidate to withdraw
Municipal Elections Act
Elections are under the jurisdiction of the Nova Scotia Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing. For more information, visit their website here.
Read the provincial legislation here.