Mayor's Monthly Update - May 2021
The latest Mayor's Monthly Update is available!
See what Town Council and staff have been working on in the month of May from Mayor Risser. You can download it
or click "Read More" for a text version.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I hope everyone was able to have a pleasant long weekend, travel restrictions notwithstanding. Below is a view of items the Town has been working on in May.
- I want to offer my thanks and support to all Lunenburgers for your efforts to help fight the COVID-19 third wave. It’s been a difficult month with more Nova Scotians getting sick and another Province-wide lockdown. We can see, though, that the strenuous efforts we’re making to follow public health protocols are making a difference with the numbers improving. Let’s all stay focused, get vaccinated, and have a better summer.
- Project Lunenburg: The new Draft Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS), Land Use and Subdivision Bylaw were released this month with a public presentation of the documents by UPLAND Planning & Design and a Public Information Meeting to gather your comments – both are available for viewing on our YouTube page here: https://bit.ly/YouTubeTOL. You can find the documents at https://www.projectlunenburg.ca/participate
- Town Budgets 2021/22 have been approved. Council continued deliberations on the 2021/22 Budget this month in Committee of the Whole meetings. The Town Capital Budget was passed on May 11th, and the Operating Budget on May 25th. Both budgets include funding for Project Lunenburg action items that are important to the future development of our Town. The budget is available on the Town website here: https://explorelunenburg.ca/finances-and-tax-rates.html
- CBCL made a second interim report to Council on the Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrades project focusing on the outfall options assessment. It recommends two potential locations with improved dispersion and limited impact on the working harbour. The report can be found in the May 25, 2021 Council Minutes, page 89: http://bit.ly/34EtCLo.
- VON Week in Lunenburg was recognized this week in honour of the essential work the Victorian Order of Nurses provides for our most vulnerable citizens. A VON flag-raising took place earlier this week as a thank you to them and a reminder of how valuable charitable programs are for our community.
Mayor Matt Risser
Town of Lunenburg