- Visitor Information
- Municipal Government
- Business & Service Directory
The St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church congregation has the longest history of any Presbyterian congregation in Canada. The earliest services were conducted in the open air or in private houses. From 1759 - 1770, the congregation worshipped in St. John's Anglican Church. Then, in 1770, the first Presbyterian Church was built on this corner site, and the services of the first minister, the Reverend Bruin Romkes Comingo, were secured. Reverend Comingo served the church for 50 years until his death in 1820. A stone monument immediately to the east of the church commemorates his life.
It was under the next minister, the Reverend Adam Moschell, that the first church was replaced by a new building which, over the years, has grown into the present-day structure.
In 1879, the church was lengthened to 83 ft., broadened to 40 ft., and the height of the spire was increased to 118 ft. The gothic windows that can still be seen today replaced the earlier square windows. The doors and windows on the tower are also finished in the same arched and hooded neo-gothic style.
In 1909, further renovations were carried out on the interior and on the eastern end of the building. Until that time the site to the east of the church was occupied by a school house, built sometime prior to 1879. In 1909, this school was moved up to Fox Street and enlarged into the building that now serves as the church hall and Sunday school. This made room for the construction of a chancel on the eastern end of the church.
An interesting and unusual weather vane was placed on top the spire in recent times. The five-and-one-half-foot hammered copper codfish weather vane reminds one that the first Christians represented Jesus Christ by the symbol of the fish, and several of the disciples were fishermen. The weather vane may also be thought of as symbolic of Lunenburg, the fishing capital of Canada where Cod was "King."