St. John's Anglican Rectory
58 Townsend Street
In the early years of the Anglican Church, missionaries and rectors were accommodated in rented houses which were paid for by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The SPG was an English philanthropic group that provided funds for Anglican Church purposes in the British Colonies. In 1816 it decided that the time had come to acquire its own rectory.
The congregation, however, was divided over the purchase and instead of providing funds they put the rector, the Reverend Robert Aitken and his successor, the Reverend James Cochran, to work as carpenters to complete the house. The house has served as the Anglican Rectory ever since that time. Although it has been altered and added to over the years, the Rectory substantially retains its original character.